Friday, February 1, 2008

Enlightening at the dog pound.

We went to the County Animal Shelter (lovingly called the dog pound) today for our homeschool field trip. I was a little hesitant because my older two kids are afraid of dogs and I was afraid they would make a scene in front of everyone.
I told them what the trip was and asked them if they wanted to go and they said they did. Having never been to the dog pound on a tour before, I did not know what really to expect.
We arrived and removed our coats. I put the baby in a front carrier so that she would be secure and began our tour.
We first went into the first cat room. This first room was where the stray cats were put once they reached the mandatory 4 days in the holding cages and no one claimed them. There were some beautiful cats and some not so beautiful cats. When I found out the price and what is included in the adoption price, I decided that it did not seem too bad to go about it that way. Automatically the pet gets "fixed" and shots as well as a new home for one low price. Kind of buying pets the Wal mart way.
Then we went into the second cat room. This was the room where the cats whom the owners had released for adoption, such as people moving, or people who have moved to nursing homes, etc... There was one beautiful white and grey kitten in there. It was absolutely beautiful. There were also several bunnies for you bunny lovers out there. A beautiful black lion head (I only know that because that is what the technician called it) was one of them.
Then the dreaded dog room. I was expecting this horrid stench and the loud barks mixed with the screams of my children. There was really none of that. There was a dog smell when we walked in that went away as our noses adjusted accompanied by some barks and whines by the lonely dogs. My children uttered not a sound. They walked quietly beside me or were held by one of the other moms who sensed their anxiety.
It was a truly enlightening and pleasant experience. I was shocked at my children's great behavior in the company of so many dogs, most of which were pit bulls. I actually felt sorry for them.
The final room we went into was the procedure room. The animals are brought to this room as a holding area (there were two cats who looked absolutely scared), given their shots, and observed for 24 hours. After that they are placed in one of the other rooms (there were a couple of rooms that we were not taken in that were for dogs and cats that were either dangerous or not tested yet). After the waiting period of 4 days (unless the owner claims them if they are stray), they are put in the adoption rooms if they are seen to be fit for adoption. There are vet. tables there where they receive shots and their chip. In the far recesses of that room, is the room where all the "fixing" takes place. We could not go in there because the doctor was operating that day. That would have truly been an enlightening experience for our group of homeschoolers.
Thank you Tancy for putting this trip together. It was truly an enlightening experience.

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Oh, pounds are SO hard, emotionally. I'm glad they exist, though. It helps with the humane treatment of animals and serves to remind people of the importance of neutering and spaying their pets. I'm glad your girls did so well!

Last night on TV was this heart-breaking ad for Pedigree (dog food's) foundation for animals. It showed an adorable "mutt" being considered for adoption at the pound and then being turned down. Then David Duchovny did a voice-over how Pedigree provides grants for organizations that help unwanted animals.

It literally made me cry. I told Brett I had to go upstairs and hug our rescued bunnies. Breaks my heart every time.

I went to a pound once (I was 23) and cried all the way home. So your girls are already braver than mushy me!

Wendy said...

What a great field trip! I don't think our group has ever tried to go to the pound.

And I feel the same way about it as you, Ann-Marie, but it's good when the place gains press. I'm sure that many families end up going back or passing on the word.

On Tuesday our group is going to the opera and on Thursday we are going to Eureka Pizza for a 2-hour field trip to make our own pizzas. Fun days. I love homeschooling!

Heidi said...

See,I'd pass on the opera.

Wendy said...

It's an opera performance, not just singing. And it's put on my JBU drama and Walton Arts Center. Can't miss that!! (And it's FREE for our homeschool group!)

Heidi said...

Well, I guess FREE is good. I just had bad experiences with that kind of music and classical is not my thing. But go enjoy that. Classics are good for young minds, I will admit that.