Friday, February 9, 2007

A tragedy

My internet comes on automatically to the news of the day. In the headlines last night I read about a tragedy of our time. It was a tragedy in the celebrity world (which I do not really follow). I am by no means a fan of playboy magazine or this particular young woman, but on it blurted the headlines "Anna Nicole Smith dead at 39". Of course she had been in the headlines a lot in recent years about one scandal or another, the latest giving birth to a baby who had more than one man claim to have been with her around the time that the baby was conceived. Tragedy in itself in the sin depraved, pleasure loving society that we live in.

It made me think, however, about my own life. How long am I to be on this earth? Will I live past the age of 39? Am I doing enough to further the Gospel of our Savior Jesus Christ? Granted, God can further the gospel without my help. He does not NEED me, but He wants to USE me.
The more I think about it, the more I should cry out to God in anguish that I am not the Christian witness that I should be. That is the real tragedy in our time. Too many Christians go through life being just average Christians. Sure, they go to church every time the doors are open; they hear a great message and they may even be convicted. They may work in a kids program, nursery, lead music, or even preach, and not be the witness or testimony they should be. If we were the Christians we should be, could the Holy Spirit work in us to change this world? Just something to think about.

No comments: