Monday, February 12, 2007

...And it still snows...

I posted last week about how much you have to love Illinois. Well, it still snows. I think Winter has been long enough. Granted, we had 40 degree temps all through December and half of January, which was a record for around here of how many days it was above 40. I just don't like Winter and am tired of seeing a bleak whiteness outside. It is pretty when you get the first one or two snowfalls, but when it has been on the ground for a month straight, it gets kind of boring.
As I write this, however, I must be truly thankful I do not live in New York state where they are getting snow by the foot. I heard that some places it is up to 12 feet of snow on the ground now. How does that work exactly? What do you do with so much snow? How does the plow get rid of it all? It just amazes me that somewhere outside of Northern Canada, Alaska, or Antarctica could get that much snow at once.

My husband asked me where they put the snow that falls in downtown Chicago. As with any big city, they can't just pile the snow in a parking lot as there are only parking lots every few blocks. There are not large store lots where you can just park mounds of snow. They can't just pile it along the roads as they are so busy that it would cause traffic hazards. What do they do with it all?

Needless to say. I am ready for Spring!!

3 comments:

Jennittia said...

It is a bit funny here in the Northeast right now. We are expecting the snow that you are now getting and everyone is soooo excited. I never realized how much of avid ski-ers New Englanders are!! We are expecting about 12-18 in. in our area beginning tonight.

I can shed some light on what they are doing with all the snow. I watched a news special on it. They are filling some football fields with loads brought in by trucks. They also have huge melting machines that melts the snow and then it gets put into the cities' water supply. Pretty cool!

Happy digging out!!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the information on the snow. It was just a source of curiosity.
12-18 inches? Wow, I am now thankful for only the 12 we are supposed to have once it is all done. It is then supposed to be 30-40 degrees next week. I can hardly wait.
My neighbor is so nice. He says he would never forgive himself if I fell down the stairs, so he uses his snowblower and blows our snow too.

mom2mine said...

I enjoyed sitting inside watching if fall today. I was thankful I wasn't out in it. I have to go to homeschool group tomorrow and it will be interesting.

I agree that we aren't in the east with feet of snow piled high!