Thursday, February 8, 2007

Multitudes in the Valley of Decision

You know, something funny happened last week. Maybe it is just a being pregnant sort of thing, but I felt like that verse in the Bible that says "Multitudes, Multitudes in the Valley of Decision."
I couldn't make up my mind for the life of me. Maybe some of you other people, pregnant or not, have gone through this.

I thought I had everything just right. I knew right where I wanted to have this baby. I was calm and at peace about it. Well, there is a HUGE baby boom here and I know a couple of people who work at the hospital where I plan on having my c-section and well, one of the people kept telling me that they were soooo busy, that women were waiting in the waiting room dilated at 8 cm because there was "no room in the inn." They are doubling up on private rooms and they only have about 4-5 of those left. You see, I am scared to death of sharing a room with another hormone crazed woman for three days (or several women in that time frame).

My husband suggested that I talk to my doctor about it and then we could change the place of delivery. Oh great!!!! no problem. Okay. I talked to her and she never recommends A. hospital because of those very things. She has had several problems with understaffing, availability of operating rooms for emergency c-sections, and things like that. She suggested I go to hospital B. ( I have a choice of 3) as I would get better care (in her opinion) and I would pretty much be guaranteed a private room because they don't double up. So, okay. I had them change it. Slight (ok, major) problem. Our insurance does not cover hospital B. ok. God will provide, right? right.
I talked it over with my husband and he said that he was not telling me to change hospitals on the spot, he wanted her opinion and then to discuss it. Oh, oops. small (ok, large) misunderstanding. He was kind enough to remind me that we all ready had childcare for the original date and time of the c-section (which was not guaranteed at hospital B. ) and that there were all ready people coming from long distance (namely my mom and his mom) to care for me and the kids while I was not able to do some things while healing from surgery. Plus, I was just going on hear say and had not even given hospital A. a chance and I just got freaked out. Then, the insurance coverage could be a problem. Imagine that!! Lack of insurance coverage a problem.
Now what was I going to do? I all ready had set the ball in motion to change hospitals. Would they keep the original date, hospital, and time; or would they cancel it in order to change it to hospital B? What do I do?
Well, I prayed about it. DUH!!! Didn't think of that one before!! And decided to sleep on it and start in the morning with a fresh mind. In the morning I asked my husband what his thoughts were on the issue. His suggestion was to call the Dr. office and see if they had the original information still and keep the original plan (God may have His own anyway). I did, they did. So, we are back to hospital A, until the next scary moment happens.

Besides, can sharing a room truly be that bad? Maybe it is God's plan for me to use it as an opportunity for me to witness or for someone who comes to visit me to witness to my roommate. One never knows the mind of God, though I still pray for a private room.

No comments: