Thursday, February 22, 2007

Questions to ponder.

I am not sure where to begin on this one, or exactly what to title it. I am sure it will come to me as I go along. I am not sure even which direction to take it.
I have been pondering this for a few days, since hearing about the survival of a baby born at only 21 weeks and weighing only 10 ounces. This is the first baby to have been known to have survived at that early stage of development. Was she really a baby when she was born, or was she a crying blob with arms and legs who had to finish developing to become the baby that she is now after 5 months in a NICU? When exactly does a baby become a baby?
If a baby is not a baby until 40 weeks, then why is so much time, effort, and money put into saving those who are born too soon? Why is there a need for a NICU? Why is the March of Dimes trying to end premature births, if the premature baby is not a baby after all?
How can a person say that a baby is not a baby until it is born when no baby is born at the exact same time as another? If it is normal for a term baby to go 38-42 weeks, then what is it exactly if it only goes, say 36, or 26, or even 21 weeks?
I know of another family who had a baby about a month ago at 26 weeks. Looks like a baby to me, the description sounds like a baby? Is it truly a baby? The ultrasounds that I have seen show a baby, even at 8 weeks after conception. To me, there is no question, that it is a baby. If people would show these women in the abortion clinic a 3D ultrasound of their baby, I think there would be fewer abortions (of course, that would then put the abortion clinic out of business, and we can't have that, now can we?)

Being a Conservative Christian Republican I have a hard time reconciling the differences in my party. I chose to vote "write in" in our Gubernatorial election here in Illinois last November, because I could not compromise my personal beliefs and vote for a candidate who was pro-abortion (choice she calls it). I don't know what I will do in the Presidential election come 2008, if my party chooses a pro-abortion candidate.
Choice? Who's choice? Not the baby's choice. The choice is not made after conception. Let's not punish the baby for the choice of the mother. The baby did not choose that day/night when it was conceived. That is the choice that the mother made. The consequences of the promiscuous lifestyle may be getting pregnant and being forced to carry, birth, and raise that child. The other option is adoption, which is an outstanding choice. I understand that in times of rape or incest, that raising the baby may not be an option, but in those rare cases, adoption is still an option. I know too many couples, personally, who are medically considered infertile and would love to adopt a baby. I see so many ads in the paper every week from couples who are wanting to adopt.
Let's face it, our society today is so selfish that people in general think more about themselves, that they don't take a moment to think about what that new life within them may be feeling as it is murdered, or the feelings of that woman who takes a pregnancy test month after month only to be disappointed because she wants to become a mother so badly.
Sorry to have vented, but those are just some things on my mind as of late.

2 comments:

mom2mine said...

Just wondering how you were doing. Doubt you are checkin gyour blog, but hope her delievrey went well!

Jennittia said...

Well said!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear about your new little one!