Thursday, October 4, 2007

The joys of "k"ars and kids

We have been having special meetings at our church this week and we usually attempt to go to as many meetings as possible for our own Spiritual enlightenment.
We were just about ready to eat dinner on Tuesday night and one of my children came down the stairs, she says she was trying to jump the last stair. I just saw her lose her balance on the last step and hit the floor face first. She got up and had blood flowing from her mouth. Her tooth was loose and we were not sure of the extent of the damage. We decided to take her to the emergency clinic. I loaded her in the car and went to start it and it would not start. I tried again, still no luck. I called my husband out to jump start it with his company truck. It worked.
We got to the clinic and in a half hour we were done and found out that no major damage had been done, so we were instructed to go to the dentist the following day just to be safe.
We arrived at the van and once again, it would not start. I called my husband and he said that I should go back inside and find someone to try to jump start me. I thought "yeah sure, that is exactly what someone who has a medical emergency wants to do, jumpstart someone".
So, I did go back inside and announced my plight and a good samaritan did come to my rescue. He jumped it, but it did not work. We tried several times to no avail. I thanked him profusely.
My husband then suggested that I call the roadside assistance service and we made an appointment for a tow. My husband then called me back to say that he would come in his work truck with both of my other children (slight problem was that all the carseats were in the van, thankfully we had a couple of extra ones for the baby) so that he would then jump start it again and be there when the tow truck came.
In the meantime I walked with my injured child to get her some ice cream at a local coffee shop.
Finally my husband did arrive about the same time as the tow truck. Neither could start the van so we had to have it towed somewhere that it could get fixed. Meanwhile, I drove the company truck home with three children in the cab with me.
Since the tow truck driver could not give my husband a ride home, and the church service was still in session so there was no ride available, my husband had to walk the two and a half miles home from the mechanic along a couple of busy streets in the darkness.
We were only trying to go to church.

1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

Oh, Heidi! I'm so sorry - what a tough evening. How are the girls doing today? Poor kids! And YOU! How are you doing? Sometimes, I just hate cars and inconveniences, but I'm glad you were all able to get home safe and sound. I'm glad Jason got home safe, too!