Sunday, October 21, 2007

The irony of it all.

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, my kids were able to go with their homeschooling group to the firestation, little did I know that just days after that trip, we would get to see the firemen in action.
I heard a brief siren and saw a firetruck go by on the cross street with its lights on, then I saw it come back and go into our alley. I thought it was strange so I watched them. I initially thought it was a lights test or some other drill that they were doing until I saw them rushing around in full fire gear.
I looked up the alley and to my surprise and amazement was dark smoke billowing into the sky. Well, where there is smoke there is fire. I opened my back door and peered out to large glowing flames going up to the sky.
Two houses down, a woodpile and a car were on fire. It was so close that we could feel the heat. I called my kids and my husband and we watched them put out the fire from our back steps as I was explaining to the girls what the fire fighters were doing in comparison to what they had seen at the station. We then opened the garage where the firetruck and firemen were and watched from there for a few minutes.
Several neighbors mentioned hearing an explosion.
News crews and a newspaper reporter showed up, so we will see how big a news day it was.
My usual Sunday afternoon usually entails a walk, a nap, or watching a football game, or sometimes all the above. I certainly was not expecting something as exciting as a fire.

5 comments:

grace said...

Too bad Kurt wasn't there. He's always looking for a fire:)

Heidi said...

I thought of him while we were on our firehouse tour.

Ann-Marie said...

I have a new found respect for firefighters after being pulled from my car wreck so very gently by gallant gentlemen firefighters. I'm glad you got to see them in action.

It's nice to know I paid all those taxes for great emergency service (and actually used it).

Jennittia said...

Was it national fireman week or something? Bryce's preschool took a tour of the firehouse last week too!!

Heidi said...

I know here it was, so maybe it was a national thing. I know they have been doing fire station open houses here for the past couple of months.