Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Awkward

I took a survey by phone a couple of weeks ago and last week got a phone call from a local company who sells "air purifiers". They said that my name was drawn for a trip (everyone's name was probably drawn) or I could have a set of knives. My husband chose the knives. It is a more certain choice.

They then wanted to come and demonstrate their machine and just for doing that they would put my name in a drawing for a gift card to a local restaurant, so I said why not. I scheduled an appointment, then realized that it would not work as I had a pampered chef show the night that I had scheduled. In the meantime, my husband was confused why I had went along with this demo as we had no intention on buying it.

I called back to reschedule and just assured them that we had no intention on buying and did not want a high pressure sales person to come into our house to pressure us into buying something that we really had no use for or the $$$ to purchase at present time.

They showed up last night, earlier than the scheduled appointment which of course made me happy because I had been waffling on my decision all day and really did not want to do it, so I thought "good, they are here early, we can get this over with".
She came in and introduced herself and complimented on our house.

Then I asked her where she would like to set up and she said the living room was fine, then she sat down on the couch and had a small tote bag on her lap (I was thinking, this must be a small machine to fit in that bag). She asked if I was familiar with the machine. I said no (duh, that is why you are doing demos). Then she went on to explain the machine and asked us if we called to request the demo. I again said no and explained how her visit came to be. The machine she was selling was a VACUUM CLEANER, not an AIR PURIFIER. Problem: I have no carpet.

She proceeded to ask if I still wanted the demo even though I had not carpet. The way out of this demo presented itself. I said no as it did not make any sense to do it as it seemed pointless.

That is the fastest product demo I had ever seen. It took a whole wopping 5 minutes. I felt bad sending her away, but it really would have been a waste of her time. Now if they would have said vacuum cleaner in the first place, we could have been saving them the trouble. I think she was a little confused. I did get the knives, but who knows if my name will actually be entered into a drawing for that restaurant gift card. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Jennittia said...

That is a really funny story!! Imagine showing up to demo a vacuum and realizing the house has no carpet!!

Heidi said...

I don't remember being told that it was a vacuum cleaner. If that was so, I would have saved them the trouble. I guess they could have done the stairs. :-)