Thursday, August 21, 2008

Update on car

As I said in the previous post, I HATE buying a car.
We went to bring the car home on Wednesday and it still would not run as expected. I know it is a 4 cylinder 5 speed manual, but it is supposed to go over 35 mph. It shuddered and made a funny hissing noise, which he said was not there before (he probably had the "great" stereo so loud that he didn't notice). We have spent so much time and gas going to and from this dealership that we just want to be done with it.
We are hoping now that either a good hearted dealership manager (who is obviously crooked) or the threat of bad publicity will get him to reconsider the previous "no" to taking the car back completely and letting us walk away from it as though no sale ever occurred.
If we do have to bring the car home, the newspapers, news medias, and better business bureau (that one will find out anyway) will know about as well as all of our friends.
My husband told the sales person that the car should not have even been on the lot and the sales person agreed and said that he should not have sold it to him. I know that we cannot trust that particular dealership (of which I will mention if we do not get this resolved our way--customer is always right?) to buy a car from them in the future.
There are so many more reputable dearlerships that we can buy from and take our business to those places.

6 comments:

Robin Hayes said...

I was thinking about your situation this morning, before I read this. I think there are lemon laws that should have applied to the first time you brought the car back. And you should have had three days to cancel the transaction too, it seems. I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems like it would be worth it to look into it.

Robin Hayes said...

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/lemonlaw.html

It looks like the IL Lemon Law does not apply to used cars. :-(

Ann-Marie said...

I thought the same thing about how unfair it was that that car didn't even make it home.

That law OUGHT to apply to all cars! Ah well, in a perfect world.

Heidi said...

Most dealerships do give 72 hours for testing a car, but there was nothing in the fine print. Jason read all of it.
I will check out that law though.
The general manager was going to see if he could find us another car of equivalent value -- we certainly aren't going to spend any more money at the place.
He signed on the dotted line --as is, so nothing applies.
You would think though that he would care about his dealership's reputation and not treat his customers like dirt.

Ann-Marie said...

I'm spreading the news. I told someone about your awful experience, and they were just shocked!

Heidi said...

They say that one person tells one person and that person tells 10. Good work.