Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New Lifestyle

As some of you know (okay, maybe only one), I have been trying to figure out for the past few weeks what was causing the eczema and coughing of one of my children. A friend suggested that it could be allergies (I had never thought of that) and she suggested that I take her off of milk for a couple of weeks and see what happens. She left me with a couple pints of rice milk to try.

Lo and behold, suddenly my child does not cough all night, something that she has not done in several weeks. Her coughing had kept us all up for nights on end and it was nice to finally get a night sleep. For almost two weeks this went on and when I would allow her to indulge in cheese, ice cream etc... she would then cough at night. Her eczema started clearing up also.

Things then got out of control after we re-introduced dairy and I did not know what to do next so I called the doctor and he suggested the blood test.
We finally had a blood test last Friday and we found out that sure enough, she is allergic to milk and egg whites. Now life will get easier for us as now we know what not to give her. It is a mild allergy, so having either of those two items will not kill her, but she will just get the uncomfort that comes with it. It does not mean that she cannot have ice cream with Grandma, but it means that if sherbet or sorbet is an option, she should have that instead.

The egg whites is going to be a little harder to do as there are eggs in a lot of things. There will be some lifestyle changes that will need to be made feeding my allergic child and I may need some guidance on that one.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Oh dear, you've been comment-spammed! Sorry to see it.

I'm so glad you found out about the allergy now! I'll keep my eyes peeled for any helpful advice in magazines or whatnot. I'll bet she (and you) feel a ton better.

Heidi said...

We do. She has not coughed at all really since knowing for sure and taking the appropriate measures to prevent the reactions.