Monday, August 11, 2008

Swimsuits (girls only)

I was checking out swimsuits online and after a discussion about them with some other ladies, a website was brought to my attention. I will post it later in this entry.
I am trying hard to be an example of modesty to my girls. I am trying to teach them by my own actions and clothing what is modest. They are quick to point out other ladies' immodesty with pointed fingers and have to be reminded that we are not to judge other people, but only concentrate on what we wear to be honoring to God.
I am looking for a new 2 piece swimsuit --don't worry, I am not going to show my fat belly to the world. It is a tankini, not a bikini. The top that I ordered is a little lower than it appeared in the pictures on the store website so I am debating of sending it back and getting a different one or keeping it and trying the style on me. I am going to let my husband be the judge to see if he would be comfortable with me wearing it in public.
This has always been a hard spot for me because of my Independent Fundamental Baptist (you might as well call it Amish) background. Sometimes the rebellious roots come out in my new found liberation from the legalistic oppression and I could not resist. Our shirts could not be lower than 4 fingers from the base of the neck (which is not a bad standard to have -- but extremely hard to find in this day and age). We also wore coulottes ( I have seen them illustrated extremely as "sugar britches" --Ann Marie posted about those a couple of months back) that had to be 36 inches around each leg. Here is where the double standard falls. Why did it matter what a girls' swimsuit looks like if we were not to "mix bathe"? Of course, I never went mixed "bathing" until I was married. Do they mean mixed swimming? If it was all girls, why was skinny dipping not okay? If there is any lusting going on with all girls, then there are other issues that need to be addressed.
Anyway, to the subject in point. A friend of mine mentioned the burquini (for the modern muslim woman), which is not bad, but a little extreme for me. Definitely hides all those flaws, flab, and cellulite though.
One that really got my attention is the Fundamental Baptist Swimwear . (this is the title that I gave it) If you type Amish swimwear in the subject line this is what comes up. Too funny, actually sad to think that parents would put their kids in these and that full grown adult women would actually wear them. I loved the line in one of the blogs that said that the husbands can pick out swim clothes for their wives that would be modest. Of course you know that in that culture, the woman has no say anyway.
Another line said (this one was against the swimwear) that there is nothing about what was modest for men to wear (what about women against speedos, yuck!) What about suits for the modest man (gunnysacks and burlap bag clothes lines). I think women should start selling modest swimsuits for men.
One of the comments used the verse Deuteronomy 22:5 Read the comment for yourself. I can't tell you how many times I heard that verse has been taken out of context and construed to make it say what the person in the pulpit wanted it to say.
My husband and I jsut had a discussion about this verse last night. We have come to the conclusion that it is referring to cross dressers and others who get their jollys by looking like the opposite sex. Our conclusion is backed up by people like R.C. Sproul who says in his notes in the Reformation Study Bible (ESV)that verse should be translated as people who wear the clothes of the opposite sex for religious purposes, such as bestiality and homosexuality. It was meant for the culture of the time. John MacArthur says in his study Bible that it was referring to cross dressers and transvestites.
Oh wait, did I say NKJV and ESV? It is the version that is my problem. I didn't use the KJV. Oh, oops that is for another post.

6 comments:

grace said...

Wow. There are no words to describe the "Fundamental" swimsuit line other than, wow. I myself have a tankini suit and love it. Good sun exposure without the scare factor :)

Heidi said...

I just sent the one that I ordered back as I said before, too much upper exposure.
I ordered a new one, so hopefully it will be a little better.

Ann-Marie said...

I, umm, laughed so hard I CRIED. I really want to buy some Muslim swimwear now! Seriously, I'd be all covered up. I'd drown under the weight of the material, but at least, I wouldn't have to show my thunder thighs!

You crack me up!

Heidi said...

That is why I buy the suits with the little skirts as mini as they are I still feel a little better about myself. My butt could be showing out the back of the skirt, but I still feel better from the front.

Jennittia said...

Great post!! Did bring me quite a laugh!! I wonder what kind of looks would you get if you showed up at the beach wearing something like that?!! Personally, I love my tankini from Land's End. Paid way too much for it, but gives great coverage all around.

Heidi said...

I got my new tankini top the other day and love it. I love the style as it makes certain things a little easier.