Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Crazy, Crazy, Crazy

As I think most people who know me know, I hate Winter as I do not do well in cold weather. I can handle twenties, but when the highs are around 0 degrees, it really starts eating at me literally. I have LOVED this warmer weather. I can handle 56 and 63 degrees in January. That is perfect winter weather for me. However, when you have unseasonable warm weather there are some downsides. Yesterday's downside came in the form of a tornado. It touched down in N.E. Rockford and moved along thankfully through mostly rural areas. It did destroy a few houses and part of an orchard as well as knocked out power for about 2000 people. It was quite the weather spectacle. Now the question to be asked, where was I when all this was taking place? I was sitting at my computer just finishing schooling my kids when my husband called and said that he heard that a tornado had touched ground in Rockford and wanted to know if I knew anything about it. I told him that I knew nothing about it but we had had some lightning. He told me to turn on the tv so I can catch any breaking news and tornado path. I turned it on and at that point there was no tornado, but there was a watch out. I called my husband back and told him. He told me to keep him posted. I turned back to the tv and the warning screen started flashing red which meant to take cover as one had been spotted. I went outside and looked at the sky. I looked all around and decided that the clouds looked menacing enough, so I took the kids downstairs to the basement which of course, meant waking up the baby from her nap upstairs. I left them in the basement and came back upstairs to watch the weather (probably not the best choice, I admit it). I looked out the back window and saw the dark clouds coming together at a distance. I found out later that what I was seeing at that time was the tornado clouds forming over the area where it touched ground at 3:35pm. Looking back, it was a pretty amazing weather phenomenon that I saw, even though I did not see the actual funnel cloud.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Was that weird or WHAT?!

Brett was home sick yesterday, and when I called him around four to let him know about the touch-down, he was like, "What? You're kidding! A tornado in January!!!"

I'm so sad it hit Edwards! We've been going there since I was a child. I hope there is a massive community effort to help them rebuild. It just wouldn't be fall without Edwards!

Heidi said...

I think enough people feel that way, so I don't think they will have a problem.