Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Climbing mountains

I hope this is not offensive to anyone, but I had to comment on the news that I heard today about mountain climbers.
Once again this year we have people stuck on a mountain on the West Coast. Last year it was Mount Rainier (I believe) in Washington. This year it is Mount Hood in Oregon.
They must be Easterners who have no clue about tall mountains. REMEMBER this is just MY opinion. What kind of crazy person climbs a 12,000 foot tall mountain in the WINTER, especially a winter with record amounts of snowfall!! These mountains are not like the 2000 foot high appalachians (just hills to those of us from the West Coast). These are mountains that are at least 10,000 feet tall. They make their own weather and these storms come out of no where. Crazy Crazy people.
I guess I have to give them some credit as I won't even climb them in the summer. When the public trail ends and ice boots are required, I turn around and go back down, but can you imagine the view from the top of the world?

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Hmmm...climbing is like exercise, right? So, umm, no for me, either. I agree! Oh, and I think Rainier is a cool boy's name!

Jennittia said...

I love the people who go down a road that is posted as "closed for the season" and then wonder why they get stuck!!!! If you ask me, any kind of winter "sport" is asking for trouble!!