Friday, June 22, 2007

Illinois drivers

I seem to never have experiences on the road like my friend Ann-Marie see www.lefthandedrabbit.blogspot.com . This comes in light of the Vatican (since I am not Catholic, it holds no meaning for me) issuing the "Ten Commandments" for driving.
This is kind of a venting post. I am not meaning to sound like a mean monster, but there are a few things that really annoy me. Maybe these things happen all over the place, but I have seen them the most here in Illinois.
My experiences today entail annoying people who brake in front of you in parking lots and tailgaters (and an occasional non turn signal user). I have several pet peeves, but tailgating and not using the turn signal are my biggest ones. HELLO people, cars (US and foreign made, so there is no excuse for those of you who drive foreign models) are made with turn signals for a reason. Do you think drivers know how to use them? NOoooo, instead they cut you off in traffic then either stop in front of you or go at a snails pace, granted in Chicago you have to or you do not get in the lane you want, but come on, people, do you have to cut people off without using the blinker everywhere you go? Also, people put on their brakes in front of you and you have to put on yours and you have no idea why until they turn.
Something that happened to me today was I went to a McDonalds and the person in front of me apparently wanted a certain parking space and decided at the last minute and stopped in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes and my poor kids were thrown forward. In cases likes these I am thankful for seat belts.
Another incident I was at a stop light at an intersection on one of our towns busiest streets and another one that is fairly busy. I had my turn signal ON and was waiting for oncoming traffic and there was a lady behind me. I did not turn fast enough so she huffily went around me and made a dirty face at me. At least I used my turn signal!!
On to tailgating. One of our main streets is under construction, so I was going slow because you are supposed to in construction zones, duh!!! There was this lady following me so close that if I would have slammed on the brakes, she would have backended me. Thankfuly, it would have been her fault, but still. ANNOYING!! I tapped my brakes to give her the idea to back off and she did not give an inch.
One more thing. I also hate it when people cannot read construction signs that say things like "right lane closed 1 mile". Why do you think there are traffic tie ups at construction zones? It is because of those people who don't merge at the first sign (or maybe even the second), but wait until the lane is ending right in front of them and they have no choice. They cannot wait in traffic like the rest of us. They must get in front of one more car because it just might make them have to wait a few seconds longer. Road construction is annoying for all of us, so just suck it up people and wait in line like the rest of us who follow the instructions.
I don't mean to sound like I am a saint on the road, and I am sure that my driving bugs others sometimes (like my mom and my Grandma), but I do try most of the time to be courteous and follow the rules that I would hope others would follow.

3 comments:

Jennittia said...

That's the kind of stuff we joke here are "Massachusetts drivers" although I am sure there are plenty in NH as well!

Ann-Marie said...

You sound like Brett! He gets so frustrated when people don't use their turn signals! My pet peeve is when someone in the next lane won't let you move over, and they do that speed-up-slow-down game to be irritating. I say, thank goodness cars can't fly!

Heidi said...

Ooohh, that is another good one.
or they play that game in front of you.