Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mother's Day Poem

I have never really considered myself a women's libber. I usually mocked the people of the NOW and NARAL as they would march holding signs as wierdoes. That said, I do believe that women deserve equality in the workplace as they can do most things as well or better than men and should get paid for it. I don't believe, against the teachings of the church of my youth, that the women's place in the home is to be the footstool and be walked all over by the husband either. I believe that the two are more like equal partners who share headship in the home.
Along those lines I want to share a poem that was in our local newspaper on Sunday to celebrate Mother's Day. I don't necessarily endorse every line and rhyme of it, I just liked it and thought it was appropriate as we celebrate all our moms.
It was written by Tina King Love of Loves Park, Illinois.

I AM WOMAN!

I am the foundation of strength in the shoulders of which you lean. I am woman, no doubt, fulfillment of your dreams.
I AM WOMAN!
I am the backbone of man, for I was created from his rib, the powerhouse of wisdom, the bearer of his kids.
I AM WOMAN!
I am the light of light, the mother of many, the giver of love, for which I have plenty!
I AM WOMAN!
I am your strength in your hours of weakness, your faith when it is gone, I am the answer to your problems, the voice you hear in songs.
I AM WOMAN!
I am your food when you are hungry. I am the smile on your face. No one, yet no one, could ever take my place.
I AM WOMAN!
I am the giver of life. I am both mother and wife. I am a father when I need to be. For my children, my life I'll sacrifice!
I AM WOMAN!
I am the exact replica of my mother and her mother too. I put God first in all that I do.
I AM WOMAN!
I am the peace that you wish for on those many restless nights. I am the gentle breeze from the wings of a dove, soaring when in flight.
I AM WOMAN!
I am the comfort zone that surpasses none other. Your sister, father, best friend and brother.
I AM SHE, "The ONE and ONLY MOTHER!"
For after I am gone, there will be no other!
I AM WOMAN!
I AM WOMAN! A GREAT WOMAN I AM! I, AM, WOMAN!!!!!!

1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

I am woman, too! Great poem!