Thursday, January 1, 2009

Popcorn and Preaching?

I know you are wondering how those go together. So was I. I told my dh and he just gave me a knowing laugh.
I visited my parent's church for their New Years Eve service and we did the normal Baptist thing and ate and ate, had preaching (if you could call it that), games, and testimony time.
Then they did this "popcorn preaching" thing where the "preacher boys" got up and preached 5 minute sermons. In about three instances, they were given a verse that night and given 15 seconds to look at it, then 3 minutes to preach on it. Maybe I am just an ignoramus woman, but tell me how much study can really be gotten in 15 seconds?
How much true change can take place in a 5 minute sermon, or would any life changing decisions just be made all on the basis of emotion? Have I just gotten so used to the meat of the Word and the long sermons that a short sermon of that nature just does not seem quite right?
I grieve that preaching is sometimes thought of as entertainment or not taken seriously. Preaching is a very serious undertaking and should not be taken lightly.
Tonight my dad made the comment that he thought the "preaching" was really good last night. I made the comment that not much studying could have taken place for those sermons. He replied that he got the same things out of those verses that they did. Does this prove how simple minded people can be or am I just being overly critical?
One of the verses from the book of Colossians mentioned the elect of God and I just wanted to shout out "Do you really know what that verse is talking about", especially when you read the context of the verse.
One of the sermons, the preacher asked the same question that I have for numbers oriented churches. "If you have 3000 people saved this year (as the church claims), where are they? Why are they not being discipled? Why are they not in church? Someone finally had the guts to ask that question. The answer that can be given is that no one is taking the time to do it.
Tell me, what is better -- living a life that pleases God and people can see Him in us and taking time to witness when the opportunity is presented before us; or going from house to house in our culture today and/or shoving the Bible down the throats of complete strangers just so that you can say that you "got someone saved" and having that high number on the record books.
It grieves that so many of these "saved" people may have made the decision to get people of their doorstep, or because they felt manipulated into a decision, or were pushed down an aisle and have no real concept of what true salvation is --repentance and declaring Jesus Christ Lord of your life. Forever changing and walking with Him.

3 comments:

Jennittia said...

Amen, sister! Really?!!! 15 seconds? It seems to me that you would barely have time to read the verse let alone study it!

Ann-Marie said...

Oh my! Did we live parallel lives! I remember "popcorn preaching" from our chapel services in Christian school. Man, was that ever a waste of time. I always thought if was sort of like doing improv or stand-up comedy. But then again...I'm like that! :-)

Heidi said...

I was trying to figure out if it was serious and I think it really was.