Monday, December 29, 2008

The Long Wait and the Train Ride

My train for Washington was scheduled to leave from Chicago's Union Station at 2:15pm on Saturday, the 27th of December. So, DH and I went into Chicago on the "L" from our hotel (see previous post), ate lunch at the station, then went to my gate only to find out that there was a delay on the train, and we didn't know how long it was. What started out as a 45 minute wait became 6 hours. DH waited as long as he could as he had to catch his train back to where we parked the car at Cumberland to get back home in time for dinner as Grandpa and Grandma were watching the girls for us overnight.
I waited and waited some more with very little encouraging news from Amtrak.
Finally at about 6:00 they announced that our train was here, the whoops and applause was great. We waited in line for another hour and finally at 7:45 our train pulled out of the station. I have never waited that long at a train station before but I guess I would rather wait at the beginning of the trip at the station than somewhere along the line stuck somewhere.
I finally made it in to my destination at 1:05 pm today (Monday, the 29th) 7.5 hours late.

No comments: