Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Playland Terror

I just realized that I should have named my last post "The cat on a hot tin roof", but oh well, hindsight is well, you know.
Today my kids and I went to a McDonalds playland with another family for some lunch, catch up, and play time. They just adopted two girls and I had not had time to spend with just them as we have all been busy and it was nice to get out (we were also part of the box packing team for the NIU project with our church). We ordered our meal, sat and ate it. Then we went where every parent with kids goes when there is a playland at the restaurant, the playland of course.
All the kids were playing pretty well until this little bully of a kid started causing trouble. Every couple of minutes one of our kids (we had 6 between us) came out to tell us that this little boy was bothering them in some way. He either pushed them, spit on them, hit them, dominated the slide (he took up the whole thing and he could not have been more than 5), was rude, swore, or bit some other kid in the playland. Usually I leave other kids alone, but at one point I went up to the kid (who was just sitting in the slide) and told him that other kids wanted to play and he needed to share the slide with the others. I know other parents had talked with him too.
Finally, another mom saw her son being hit up in the upper part and went up there herself to protect her son. The bad thing is that the lady was 8 months pregnant. You think the caregiver of that little terror would have done something when the pregnant woman had to protect her kid. NOOOOOOO!
It took a riot on the part of us parents to finally get that kid out of the playland so that our kids could play happily and safely.
One of the other kids grandmother came into the eating area where this terror's caregiver was and told her that her kid was being very bad and this caregiver had the nerve to tell us to talk to him because he would not listen to her. That was completely obvious. I said, "no, we have all ready done that and it is not our job. It is yours."
She immediatly removed her kid, kicking and screaming and slapping her out of the restaurant. She ended up slapping him right there and it did not phase him one bit.
Imagine the peace and happiness that permeated the playland once the bully left. Some parents, sheesh.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

At least, I know it doesn't just happen to me...I'm guessing it's much tougher when there are kids involved, and you have to be an example as an adult!

:-)

Heidi said...

The lady was just out of it. I can tell you what the little brat needed.