Thursday, March 6, 2008

Child Haters

I was mulling this around last night as it really bothered me. I was reading some news articles on my web browser yesterday and I couldn't get past the angst of children in some of the blog entries at the end of the story (I wouldn't get all worked up if I didn't read them, but sometimes I like to get the feel about how people think of certain ideas). Keep in mind that it is the words of one particular senile old man (at least part of his id number was 65, so I am assuming he was old) that bothered me.
The story was about certain airports testing security lines for families so that families could go through separately from others (sounds like a great idea to me). What people did not get was that it would pull all the strollers, diaper bags, screaming children, etc... out of the regular lines so that they will move faster. Many of the commenters seemed to think that it would mean that families would get through faster and they were being thought of as "handicapped with special priviledges", therefore not fair to the rest of the travellers because families were commonly late and should have to wait in line like everyone else. One senile old man said that families should be waiting behind him. Tell me, would he really want some "snot nosed" kid wiping his snot on his pant leg or bumping him in line or "urping" in his ear or worse yet having some parent change a "poopy" diaper in his line right behind him? Just to spite these people I would be tempted to go through the regular security lines and allow my children to scream and pull everything out of my diaper bag to bag it in plastic bags right there while pretending that I did not know how to fold my stroller. Then they would want me to go through the family security line.
I don't fly with my children very often and I do expect good behavior out of my children, especially when in public. I also try to get there early enough to get through security with some time to spare, but it really taxes children because they have to wait at the airport, then have a 3+ hour flight. There just seemed to be a sentiment that I was getting through some of those people that parents should leave their children at home when they fly. EXCUSE ME!! What am I supposed to do, leave my kids in the house as I fly to Disney world without them? families have every right to fly as the next person. If I am going to fly on vacation it is quite possible that it is a FAMILY vacation which in our family includes my children, thank you very much.
I did notice that it was the people with NO children who had the anger and angst towards families with small children. One person even said that children who were disruptive should be spanked now. Sure try it in public now days. That same person would be the one to call social services complaining of abuse toward children. Some people fail to realize that things are different now than when that senile old man was a little kid. Children were seen and not heard and spanking in public was common and not thought of as abuse.
There was an idea thrown around that families should have their own planes, that is not a bad idea. Give us a flat family rate and we may have a deal.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

You know how they say that until you go through something, you really have no idea what it's like? The older I get without having children, the more I think it’s true.

My grandfather used to say, “People are limited by their experience." As a parent, you have more experience, and more patience, plus you know what wonderful things your children can do and are capable of, when the guy in front of you might only hear them screaming for a seemingly endless two minutes. I tend to be like that 65-year-old, and I think it's because I've yet to experience parenthood.

I'm really working on being patient, tolerant, and loving towards children. Being around children can be tough, especially if they're misbehaving, for those of us who aren't exposed to it on a daily basis. That doesn’t make it right, of course, and I can see what you're saying.

I also don't think families should be segregated (unless they want to be) from everyone else - families are important and have the same rights.

It's just sometimes...like I said before... if you're not used to it; it's...inconvenient. (I'm not saying this sentiment is right, but that it is something some of us struggle with).

Basically, I'm just using a lot of words to say...you're right!

Heidi said...

That is what my point was supposed to be. I am glad that I apparently made sense.
I would have no problem with going through the segregated line. I just didn't like the attitude that that man was saying that he thought he was better than everyone else who had families. I guess it is the depravity of man to naturally think of himself first. I can't say that I always have perfectly patient thoughts regarding children in all situations either, but that man's comments just rubbed me the wrong way.