Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Music of Our Lives

There is this important part of our lives called music. We really can't live without it. We really can't go anywhere without hearing it. It is played at the mall, stores, the gym and on our evil tv shows (which are strictly for entertainment pursposes). Theme songs from tv shows we have a tendency to remember for a long time. We sometimes quiz each other on the theme song from certain 80's shows because we remember the music.
It is interesting how our music preferences change as we age and our culture changes. I grew up in a very strict legalistic home and church where we were told that if we listened to any other radio station than the church's (boring city), we were not right with God and were in sin. My parents told me that I could either listen to that station or I could listen to tapes that of course, were sold at the church or were sold by music groups that came to our church (i.e. Marshall family, Hyles Anderson College, etc....) A classic is "In the Garden". That song gives me creeps to this day. The argument was always "approved station"vs. CCM. Country music and easy listening was rarely to never mentioned (come to find out, the pastor liked country and listened to it --ah the hypocrisy.)
I of course, did not always listen. I would change my station in the car to country music and change it back to the "approved" station when I came home. It was funny. Sometimes I would forget and run outside to change the station before my parents could find out. I would put my headphones into the radio or listen to country quietly when my parents weren't home. I still remember some of the older songs (by older I mean early 90's). My parents did not even listen to the "approved" station.
It is so funny how legalism has such control over our minds. When our here pastor was looking for a radio station outreach, one of his ideas was to put it on the local Christian pop station. I thought well, I guess I would never hear the sermons on the radio because I don't listen to that station. I remained pretty adamant about it until a few months ago. Both of the local stations would be considered evil in those IFB circles.
We were taught that if you started down the slippery slope of CCM (contemporary Christian music), you fell into complete sin and would end up listening to rock music (which was considered very bad). Well, I guess it is true. I have fallen into complete sin by starting with something basic like Steve Green (mild CCM) and now into the Christian Pop station (only once in a while, you know).
Music is one of those more touchy and personal issues we deal with. What is the purpose of music.? Is all music in all situations supposed to glorify God all the time? What is the timing of the music? What is the goal of the singer/performer? Can secular music be used for good? Obviously if the purpose is to glorify God we should be using good God honoring Christian music; but if it is for pure entertainment purposes, such as sporting events or shopping, good secular music is almost a must. Think a minute, ice hockey to "Great is thy Faithfulness"? A Chicago Bulls game to "In Christ Alone"? Of course, that might change some of the actions of the fans in the stands. (oh oops, I used a CCM style song).
What I never understood about music is why was some music that is God honoring (Steve Green or Michael Card) is bad while others that was written by people with known sinful lifestyles (such as some in the classical genre) is okay. It is something that will be struggled with in our churches until trumpet sounds and judgment day.

7 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I don't have much time to comment...but THE MARSHALLS WERE POPULAR IN YOUR CHURCH?! HA! HA! I didn't even know people knew who they were!

The group at our previous church WORSHIPPED the ground the Marshall's walked on. I mean, "practically built a graven image" worshipped them! It was the weirdest sort of pedestal I ever saw, and now I find they were popular other places. Argh! The agony! THE AGONY! Oh, p'tooey! P'tooey! Talk about backwoods, deliverance style music.

mom2mine said...

and WHAT is wrong with the Marshalls? It is all I let my kids listen to. :)

I agree with Ann marie. I seem to be familiar with that place.

Robin Hayes said...

Um...who are "The Marshalls?"

Ann-Marie said...

You don't want to know.

Heidi said...

I can probably come up with a loose tape around here, Robin or I know where I can get a hold of one. Or maybe Ann-marie? Tancy? Have we all put away all our departed music?

Ann-Marie said...

Think long and hard if you want to hear them, Robin. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it, and it may haunt you for a long time.

Twang! Twang! Twang!

Jennittia said...

You guys are all so funny!!! I couldn't agree more, but secretly I do like one song the Marshalls sang. "Press toward the Mark" still rings through my head on occasion! Anyone know if they are still singing? It would be interesting to me to find out what happened to the kids as they grew up.