Tuesday, September 11, 2007

In Remembrance

The age old question among those of our generation will always be "Where were you...?" Where were you when the plane hit the North tower in New York? Where were you when the towers came crashing to the ground on that infamous day, six years ago? It is hard to believe that six years have all ready passed and that so many Americans have forgotten why we are now fighting terrorism. We were attacked on our OWN soil six years ago, this day.

Where was I? I was a first year teacher at a school here in town. The principal of the school did not like the teachers to be late for the morning meetings which started at 7:45 am CDT, so I strived every day to make sure I was on time. That particular morning I was rushing around trying to get to school so that I would be on time. I was, right on the dot. A minute later the attack begun, unbeknownst to me. That is one day that I wish I would have been late.
I went through my morning oblivious to everything and teaching my students like usual. We celebrated one student's birthday all ready that morning as I usually would have done.
Around 10:00 am our class took a break and I was greeted at the drinking fountain by a Jr. High young lady who asked me if I knew that planes hit the twin towers in New York and the twin towers collapased. I told her that it was not a funny joke to play on someone. She was serious, as I was about to find out. She told me to check the tv in one of the high school classrooms which I did immediately.
I was so shocked that I was glued to the tv for the next 30 minutes. Someone else substituted in my class so that I could get the latest information as well as take the time do make sure that I could gather my composure enough to finish the school day as I was fighting tears of shock.
Of all days to leave my cell phone at home. I did so that day. I borrowed a cell phone to talk to my husband (this is before the kids, thankfully).
The principal informed me that he did not think it was a good idea to inform myclass who were all in the 10-12 year old range because of the trauma that it might put them through. He wanted them to be able to go home and talk it over with their parents. That was the hardest thing that I had to do that day.
I went home that evening still stunned and shocked. I remember watching the coverage far into the night.

No comments: