Friday, September 14, 2007

First week of school

The great thing about homeschooling is that you can start whenever you want to and end whenever you want as well as go as short or as long as you want during the day.
Obviously having preschoolers I am VERY new at this. I do have high expectations and I had to have those cut down as I thought my preschoolers knew more than they actually do. I have to remember that they are only 4. When I realized that, the days went much better.
On Monday, I was so stressed out that I was almost in tears. I called my mother in law, the kindergarten teacher and home school pro (having homeschooled all three of her children--at least through 9th grade) with an SOS signal. She called me back and gave me some great advice which I have taken and used. A big THANK YOU to her.
Once I got a daily theme, such as Alligator on Tuesday, Apple on Thursday, and Ant today, it seemed to go soooooo much easier.
Today was our big finale on the letter "A", so we made A shaped cookies. I found a package of 100 cookie cutters which included alphabet cutters at Bed Bath and Beyond on Tuesday and decided to use it as part of our curriculum. They loved it today, but knowing that they were going to do it, they did not put as much effort into the other stuff. In that I was disappointed.
I decided to do school four days a week so that I have the fifth for house cleaning. I plan on joining a home school group for the moral support, socialization, and group outings (as well as other adult stimulation for myself).
I will post pictures of my kids in their desks, provided by a wonderful family in our church, once I get them downloaded from the camera.

3 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Congratulations on your first day! I will be praying for you! You'll do GREAT!

Robin Hayes said...

Can't wait to see pics of them at their desks. I bet it is cute!

Heidi said...

I just have to remember to do it.
Please feel free to remind me.