Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The joy of twins

When you have twins, you get a unique experience. You don't have to look for playmates for your kids as you have built in ones, though different playmates once in a while is a good thing. I have to share this really funny story that I was reminded of a couple of days ago.
One of my kids had a red pimply growth on her elbow and it bothered her. My husband thought it was a pimple, so as every good dad would do, he tried to pop it, to no avail. After trying several times, he decided to take her up to the bathroom to try to poke it with a needle. Her twin sister had to watch of course as you cannot do something to one without the other one knowing about it. I heard crying and came up the stairs to see how things were going, assuming that the one getting poked was the one doing the crying, not so. It was the one watching who was crying. I took her out of the bathroom and asked her what the problem was and she said "I don't want daddy to pop Brianna"; her sister. She thought that the needle was going to pop her sister like a balloon. I then had to explain to her that she was not a balloon and she would not pop if poked.
At the time I was pregnant with our third child and I didn't dare use the terminology that I was going to pop. We felt that would forever traumatize our kids minds.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Poor thing! My college roommate is an identical twin, and she said that she and her sister used to actually feel what the other one was going through. They also felt compelled to wear the same color or cut their hair a certain way even though they were miles apart at the time. It's amazing!

Heidi said...

It is amazing that they can think the same thing at the same time and have the same body language.