Friday, August 10, 2007

diaper bag woes

On our way to Oklahoma we stayed in Des Moines Iowa. Of course we had to unload everything from the car as we needed baby stuff, clothes, etc... No problem. That is the husband's job, he didn't like the fact that I chose a second floor room where there was no elevator.
The next day, we continued our journey through Iowa and Kansas on our trip to Enid, Oklahoma. We were almost to Kansas City and we stopped at a rest area for lunch and of course to change and feed the baby. She was sleeping, so we ate our lunch and had a rest stop. When we were finished I decided it was time to change her and get her ready to eat. I proceeded to change her and went back to the van for the diaper bag. I looked and looked, no diaper bag. I looked again, no diaper bag. My husband looked through the van. No diaper bag. Apparently I had left the bag at the hotel in Des Moines and we were at least three hours out, so we could not go back and get it.
While he was searching for the diaper bag, I was trying to think if I had anything irreplaceable or valuable in that bag. Thankfully, diapers, wipes, bottles, and pacifiers are replaceable and there were no credit cards, money, or anything else that could lead to identity issues or things like that later on down the road.
We hoped and prayed that the baby would be able to hold off another half hour as we hurriedly got everyone in the van so we could quickly get to the nearest town to find a Target (the bottles and pacifiers can only be found at Target). It happened to be a North suburb of Kansas City.
We hurriedly got everyone out of the van there and did the shopping quickly without a sound from the baby. She was awesome.
The next night we went to a nice dinner for my birthday and I apparently left a pacifier there, a nice pink one. It seems as though I left parts of my baby all over the central plains.
On the way home we decided to go back the same way that we came, so we stopped at that hotel that we stayed at on the way down just to see if they happened to have the bag. Voila, they did, so now I have three diaper bags, five bottles, and seven pacifiers, so I should never be without a pacifier again, theoretically.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I almost fell over laughing so hard! I'm sorry, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does stuff like that!!

Heidi said...

I don't remember it being like this with the other two and that was twins, so you would think it would be easier to leave things when there are two of them. I think the brain left with the third child.

Ann-Marie said...

If I ever DO have kids, you can bet I'll be coming to you for valuable tips and experience...just like this! Funny story!

Jennittia said...

Oh, the things I have done to the fourth child!! The worst being I drove 30 min. with the baby not buckled into his carseat!! Thankfully no police were around and no sudden stops occurred!