Saturday, April 7, 2007

Bad choice commercial on national network.

I have a disappointment that I really have to share. I LOVE the movie The Ten Commandments (the 1950 whatever it is version with Yul Brynner and Charleton Heston). It is a classic. I love the idea that the network puts out a story about a very well known Biblical event such as the Jewish Passover which we, as Christians, look at as a sign of the then future sacrifice of our King of Kings, Jesus Christ whose resurrection we celebrate on our holiday--Easter.

I usually try to watch the movie every year, which I always miss the first half as it is usually on Sunday. I forgot about it being on tonight since it was a Saturday, but I did try to enjoy the parts that I did get the opportunity to watch (I should just buy it so that I can actually watch it from the beginning some time and when ever I want, commercial free). Which brings me to the main point of my post tonight.

I was disgusted tonight when I had to endure the horrid commercials. I think that the networks had really bad taste in commercials they ran during a Biblical story. I personally am not interested in seeing those kinds of commercials when I choose to watch tv and I certainly do not need my husband, or my children, watching previews for upcoming episodes of shows where there are women taking off their clothes and talking about seducing someone e.g. Desperate Housewives. We try to be discerning (especially since we have young children) about the kind of tv and movies we watch and this is partly why we do not watch much tv. So much of the commercials we have to endure during what "wholesome" family programming we can find are just awful and as far from wholesome as we can get. I am glad I don't have to explain all of this to little boys. That would be scary.

I actually took the time to write to my local ABC station to let them know of my disappointment. If any of my readers (all one of you) out there are also concerned, I encourage you to do the same. Lets let them know how we feel as families.

No comments: