Thursday, December 13, 2007

President Who?

I can't wait any longer. I have kept my mouth shut long enough. I have been trying to avoid this topic as I did not want to make this a political minded blog, but with an important Presidential election coming up next year, it is bound to get that way somewhat as I vent my frustration with the candidate field.
I guess all I want for Christmas is a good presidential candidate.
I consider myself to be a Conservative Republican, but if the candidate on the Democratic or Third Party side were better, I would vote that way. If I were a Democrat, my choices are awful, but if I had the choice between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama I think I would vote Republican. I know that is the sentiment of some Democrats that I know. Being a woman, I would love to be able to vote for the first woman who actually has a chance to be President, but I cannot back that woman.
On the Republican side however if I could take the good parts of Rudy Guiliani, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, and Mike Huckabee, it would be the perfect candidate. I have liked Mitt Romney from the beginning. He did great work in Massachusetts as the governor while working with the ilk of Ted Kennedy and John Kerry. He has changed his stand on issues over the years and I don't know if it was political or if it was truly changes from the heart. Some might say, "but he is a Mormon, don't you have a problem with that?" As a Christian, I do have a problem with the religion itself, but a truly practicing Mormon will be a moral person (they don't even drink coffee or pop due to the drug caffeine) and a true believer in family values. So, a Mormon for president I wouldn't have a problem with as long as he held true to the values he ran on.
As far as Rudy, I like his leadership ability, but his social stands I don't like as much. He is not as Conservative on the issues of gay marriage--civil unions and abortion as I would like him to be, but I could stomach it and vote for him, possibly depending on what the alternative would be on the Democratic side.
Mike Huckabee is a Baptist Minister and pro life and pro marriage (between one man and one woman), but he does not believe in school vouchers and has not been as hard on the immigration problem that we have today. Again, I could vote for him possibly depending on his running mate.
On Fred Thompson, the same was said of Reagan. He has that Hollywood mentality to a point. He seems to be conservative, but I have not heard enough of his beliefs and political mindset to know how I would vote on him.
Okay, I know I just lost any readership I had by putting politics into my blog. I know it is all controlled by a Sovereign God, but we still have to be careful who we vote for as God has blessed us with the priviledge of being Americans and with that does come a say in who leads our great country.

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I think it's totally okay to blog about your personal politics.

I agree with you about wanting to vote for a woman..but not ANY woman, and certainly not THAT woman. It's frustrating!

I'll admit I don't kow much about the conservative choices, just because I don't care, but I think it would be fun to say, "President Huckabee."

Heidi said...

We used to pick Huckleberries when I was a kid, so I would probably get mixed up and say President Huckleberry. lol

grace said...

Kurt calls me a "news junkie." I just love to know what's going on! Kurt and I have decided to pull for Huckabee. He appears to be the better choice, though at this point, I'm not sure he can gain enough momentum.

Heidi said...

He does appear to be the choice that Christians should make. The more I read about him, the more I like him.

Heidi said...

Now more recently I find myself not liking him as much as he backs off things that he has said.
I think I still like Romney the best.