Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The School Journey

This year a new school journey may begin for my beloved kiddos.
It is such an agonizing decision to be made and I have spent many nights in tears over it and I am sure many more will come.

Some of you all ready know this, but this year has been so stressful for me trying to get the girls school done, keep the house clean, as well as the other duties that come with being a home maker. I don't feel as though I am making much of a home for my family in this present situation. I want to be able to just invite people in without having people make an appointment two days in advance to come over and in the present situation, it would be impossible to not be embarrassed.

I know that private school is not an option due to financial/doctrinal issues, so our options are to continue the present homeschooling program (which is stressful to me) or to send the girls to the "dreaded" public school.
Why does the public school scare me so much? Is it because growing up I was taught that those public school kids are bad and I am better because I went to "Christian" Baptist School? Is it because they teach the kids the religion of secular humanism and evolution? I am not really sure. I am trying to discern the truth in those statements and find the realities.
I have begun my week with tours of two public schools and they were not at all scary or anywhere near what I imagined in my little kid dreams. I found them to be a place of learning, peace, calm, and structured routine. I was actually very impressed. My kids seemed to enjoy the environment as well.

Could it be that God may want us to have a ministry of some kind to the public schools? Could opportunity present itself through our children that might otherwise not be available. Children can really thrive even in the not so ideal environment if they are being taught the correct doctrinal/moral system at home. If they are grounded in the Word of God and its teachings, it can be a place of opportunity.
I look forward to this possible endeavor and exploring the many possibilities with my kids (even though I am still trying to have an open mind to homeschooling in the Fall) and making my home a more peaceful environment where I can just be mom.

3 comments:

Jennittia said...

What a tough choice to make!! I almost had to make the public school choice this year, but was able to keep the kids in the Christian school with the help of their grandparents. I knew I could not possibly homeschool with such young ones running around and still working full time.

Our pastor here advises that public school is fine up til the age of about fifth grade. We have one family in our church that has three in the public grade school and then one that they home school. We also have several families that have older kids in public school, and while they may really struggle with things like dating issues, they seem to be pretty good kids. I will be praying for you in this tough choice. I just might be right there with you come fall. Whatever you choose, DO NOT think that you have failed your girls somehow. There are plenty of good Christian kids that go to public school and turn out to be great adults!!

Heidi said...

I know a teacher in the public school and his opinion is that Christians are needed in the public school.
If the parents are involved, the kids can turn out fine.
Sometimes I think some Christian schools can be as bad or worse (There are really none around here that I would trust to teach my kids right).

Ann-Marie said...

My mom likes to say that when Christian parents take the "light and salt" out of the public schools, then how can we expect them to be any different? I think she wishes now I had gone to public school, at least I know she wonders about it.

I work with a lot of young women (in Girl Scouts) who attend public school and many of them are amazing young people with positive self-esteem and the ability to make good choices. In college, the most devout Christians were the ones from public school.

Your girls are going to get so much Christian training from you and Jason, not to mention church. School will give them a place to put that into practice.

I'm proud of you for making a difficult decision with such thoughtfulness!