Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Midnight Fun

I love my neighborhood. The occasional midnight excitement would be so hard to give up.
Something interesting like this following story happens about every 6 months or so. I think this one may be a case of Spring fever amongst our youth who have nothing else to do.
My husband and I were watching one of our favorite shows from the 80's (okay that dates us) The A-team when I heard a bang. I didn't think too much of it until I heard what sounded like something crashing into the house. I went upstairs to see if the kids were all in bed. They were and sound asleep.
I sat back down on the couch to finish watching the show and I heard another bang. We looked outside and saw about 4 teenagers standing at the corner (we live near a busy corner that connects our neighborhood with one farther to the west). They proceeded to walk up the street, then walked down our part of the street (I didn't see this, but my husband did). I was debating calling the police because we had some problems with wayward teens before.
As I was thinking about it, a police car showed up and questioned a car pulling out of the driveway up the street (where I personally had seen the teens last). Then another police car showed up and my neighbor ran out of his house and talked to him while pointing down the streets. I assumed he called them.
Just as he was talking to the police, the teens passed in front of our house and the police stopped them for questioning. Thankfully, they were cooperative.
My neighbor ended up calling me soon after this to explain what was going on. He thought he heard gunshots and looked outside and there was smoke in the air near one of the teens that was hanging out in the street. This is something that is foreign to our neighborhood to this point. I thank the Lord for that.
To make a long story shorter, the street was blocked by 5 police cars including the paddy wagon; two of the four teens were arrested; the other two were taken home; and it is believed that it was fireworks that we heard.
Two problems: fireworks are illegal, and there is a curfew in Rockford of 11:00 on weekends, I believe.
The funny thing is that the neighbor was having a party and they were all outside telling one of the kids to run and laughing at him. Poor kid, as if he was not embarrassed enough.
To make matters more interesting, one of the police cars was still parked in the middle of the street after all the others had left and another car pulled up behind him and put his lights on the police car. The police man flashed his lights at the car behind him and that car backed up and sped away like the driver was mad that a police man would block his way. Oh the inconvenience of life!! What a dummy!!
If these things keep happening, moving will be oh so wonderful. I really do like my neighborhood and would miss the people I have come to know.

8 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Move to Roscoe! Then we could all carpool to church! Kilburns, Gordons, Fosters, Soderstroms, and...you guys!

Seriously? Gas is SO expensive now, I'm only half-kidding.

I'm glad it was just fireworks and not anything more serious. Kids today.

Ann-Marie said...

And, hey, I admited to Murder, She Wrote, so you're not weird at all.

Or maybe we both are.

Heidi said...

I never saw that show.

With Jason working in Freeport, the drive to work for him would be longer. He has thought about Winnebago (no thanks). I thought maybe Machesney or Loves Park, or even East like Boone county or somewhere along Spring Brook road (by RVC).

It's still a good 2 years away at minimum. Probably closer to 4-5.

Ann-Marie said...

Machesney Park is really growing - that might be a good bet!

Heidi said...

The house has to be energy efficient though. This old house is certainly not. That is why I hate Winter. I hate coats and being cold. I tease Jason every Winter that I want to move to Florida.

Blended in Texas said...

Ha,ha...we live in Beloit and nothing 'that' exciting has happened yet. Anyway, on our street anyway- we live on an old people/middle-aged people street. Nothing interesting here except for people knocking on our door at three in the morning looking for 'Armon'. That's about all- nothing all too interesting. Anyway, have a great day...and when was that Science fair thingy? I think I missed it...oh well. ;)

Heidi said...

That Science fair thing is on May 10th. This Friday is the tour of Starlight Theatre at 1:30.

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.