Wednesday, July 18, 2007

foot frustrations

I read a blog that a friend wrote about her frustrations with women's clothing department in contrast to ladies clothing departments.
My frustrations deal more with shoes. I have had this horrible condition of extra wide feet all my life. I have left stores in tears because I cannot find shoes to fit my feet. I have been pregnant twice and each time, my feet have been wider than the time before. Trust me, my feet cannot get much wider.
It all started when I was a kid and my parents were buying shoes for me. Because I was not personally forking over the money for the shoes, I did not realize how wide and hard to find they were. I only remember them saying that my feet were EE. How did I know that I was any different than about 3/4 of the world.
When I went to college and had to buy my own it occurred how hard it was to find affordable wide width shoes that actually looked good. I do think they were easier to find then than now, however.
I get so tired of going to discount stores and seeing only average sized shoes and knowing that I will never be able to fit into ANY of them. I get tired of all the discount stores catering to the majority of society. I think that wide width shoe people should unite and show the shoe makers and discount retailers that we need shoes too. Why can't stores be willing to carry extra wide shoes in more varieties than extra bland and boring at prices that the average person can afford. Just because we have the unfortunate curse of wide feet, does not mean that we are extra blessed and can afford expensive shoes.
I can think of only a couple things that are a blessing regarding wide feet. My husband does not have to worry about my always buying lots of shoes (this includes flip flops), and I can swim like a seal (I have been called that), though I don't know if that is a good thing or not.
If anyone has any shoe store suggestions, let me know, though I am sure that I have probably tried most of them.

7 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

My female cousin wears a Size 11 shoe! Back in high school, the only gym shoes that would fit her were these horrible mustard-yellow tennis shoes. I always felt SO bad for her.

I'm an 8 1/2 or 9 myself, with an occasional WW needed, so I do feel your pain. I agree - we should lead...the Shoe Revolution!

Heidi said...

I even saw size 11 shoes at Wal mart.

Heidi said...

I found a pair of sandals at Payless shoes source. They had about 4 pairs of wide. Three pairs of ugly and the ones that I bought which were actually cute.

Jennittia said...

Believe it or not, I can sympathize- just on the opposite end! I wear a size 5 1/2 narrow. I HATE shoe shopping because everything starts at a 6! That works ok for sneakers, but not slip on ones. To this day, I have four pairs of dress shoes- black, blue, brown and white- all very basic. You mentioned the flip- flops- I usually walk right out of them!!

mom2mine said...

I share your frustration.

I think our feet are related.

Heidi said...

Jennittia,

my mom wears a 9 1/2 AA. Very narrow.

Tancy,

Thank you

Unknown said...

OMG...I am empathisizing with you. I am cursed with my dads EE wide feet. My foot measures at an 8 EE but I have to wear 8 1/2 or 9's. I have recently became very self conscious about them and people look at them. How do you ladies feel about your feet? I normally wear heels because they make them look slightly smaller. I typically find great WW shoes at Ninewest, Naturalizer, Payless.


P.S. I think I am going to start a shoe business for WW feet! Because it is hard trying to be trendy when you have to go to 30 stores to find a pair of "comfortable" trendy shoes!