Thursday, July 12, 2007

A bad apple

The depravity of the human race is interesting. I have thought (and still do) that we live in a pretty decent, safe neighborhood (though it gets interesting a few blocks to the West). It is made up of older houses dating from the late nineteens to 1940's (my house being built in 1924). Lately I have seen some interesting characters walking through the neighborhood. I don't know if they are just visiting or if they are moving in.
Here is one particular incident. Last fall, I was having a garage sale and a guy kept walking back and forth past us. Earlier in that week, a garage and a house had been broken into just up the block from me, among various other petty crimes (the guy met the description of the burglar, so I called the police). The guy is now serving 6 years.
Next incident happened just a little over a week ago. It was nearing 12:30am and I was just dozing off and I heard what I thought sounded like doors slamming out front. I looked outside in time to see a guy banging on the trunk of my husband's car (there were three guys total by the car). I woke my husband up and we watched them for a while. They went up to a house on the next block and hanged out there for a few minutes and then walked back toward his car and then up the other street (we are the second house in from the corner and his car was parked near the corner). Then they went and hanged out behind our neighbor's truck in his driveway. The next day, I took a walk and on the next street over, I saw a car with the back window knocked in. Coincidence?
Just this morning on my early morning walk I noticed a person running very very fast from a house. It was so fast that when the person disappeared instantly, I thought that maybe it was a figment of my early morning half asleep imagination. I saw it instantly and then looked down the street and the person was gone and I heard a noise, kind of like an alarm, but it did not sound like my home alarm or like a car alarm. I can't describe the noise. I approached the next street and I was approached by a Jeep Cherokee and a guy poked his head out (of course I am backing up as I am leary of strange men approaching me in cars). He asked me if I had seen a person of a particular description. I told him what I saw and he told me that he had caught a guy trying to break into cars and had called the police. I put two and two together and figured that what I heard was either a garage alarm or a car alarm and the person I saw running is the person who set it off and this was the guy that he was looking for.
I am thankful that he ran quite a ways from me or it could have been interesting. This just proves that there are bad apples in every neighborhood, no matter how great they seem.

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

That is TOO scary, Heidi! When stuff like that starts happening right in your neighborhood, I would start to wonder, too. We had some stuff like that happen when we (my parents) lived in Rockford, so we moved to Machesney Park. But it can happen anywhere. I’m glad you didn’t have any stuff stolen.

Heidi said...

I found out today that my next door neighbor's had his truck broken into on Wednesday night sometime between 10:00 and 5:00am. I was out at 5:30 and saw that incident on that other block. Another neighbor down the street's kids bike was stolen too. I don't know if it is the same guy or not.
And yes, it can happen in any neighborhood. We (you know them as well) know other people who were broken into and they live in Boone county.

Jennittia said...

Ahh... the reasons I love small towns!! Locking my doors is just in my blood, but it is quite common around here for people to not only leave everything unlocked, but to even leave the keys in the ignition of their car! May God continue to protect you as you seem to witness so many of these crimes!

grace said...

Heidi, is this the same guy that your neighborhood was having problems with right as Kurt and I were leaving, or is this a new car thief?

Heidi said...

I think it is a new one. Our neighborhood has been having issues lately. I wonder how long this little surge in petty crime will last.