Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tea Anyone?




There was this great opportunity here in Rockford and I took advantage of it. As you all know, I am a very political person and I make every attempt I can to be involved.


In 1773 there was this great American event called the Boston Tea Party where, any American should know, is where the colonists dressed as Indians and went aboard the English ship in Boston Harbor and threw all the tea overboard in protest of the high taxes that the English King George III had put on the American colonies.


In our country today we have high taxes. Our own government wants to tax us more and more for their new programs to rob from the rich to feed the poor. Today, here in Rockford, we said "enough is enough". We had a tea party here and it was great fun. We met by the river and walked along one of the busiest streets in town, where they collected all our tea in a barrel (the environmentalists asked them not to dump it in the river and they complied) to symbolize the dumping the tea in Boston Harbor those two hundred thirty six years ago.


We then walked to city hall and chanted "no more taxes" hoping for the mayor to show his face, but we learned that he was out of town, oh well, better luck next time. There were several waving people in the upper windows of city hall. Then we marched back by the newspaper offices and chanted "tell the truth". No one was anywhere visible. I wonder what they will print tomorrow!


I was amazed how much support we got from passersby. So many horns honking, thumbs up, and cheers from them. Even the police were having a good time with our PEACEFUL protest. Our local Senator and our U.S Representative showed up to show their support. Thank you, Senator Syverson and Rep. Manzullo for what you do for us and the cause.


Above are a couple of pictures that I took of the event. To see more you can also visit the website (above).






2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I am so proud of you guys! What a great learning opportunity. When I told Brett about it, he really wished he could have gone.

Heidi said...

It was a great learning opportunity. I wanted my kids to be involved so that they could see their country at work. They had just learned about the Boston Tea Party in History last week, so I thought it came at the most opportune time.