Saturday, April 11, 2009

In Continuum .....

This is a continuation of the previous post about the school.

Because we have school choice, a friend and I studied, toured, prayed over what choices we should put on our request form. I narrowed it down to 4. These were the top 4 choices in the city that were within 10 minutes from me. Because of my central location, I am near several and thankfully 90% of the schools that would qualify in the 10 minute diameter from me are in the top 10 in academic scale for this particular city (which does not say much, unfortunately, but I think it is getting a little better slowly).
Anyway, back in February my kids and I toured three schools in anticipation of this day. We toured 1 school that had uniforms, a large Hispanic population, around 600 students, and a very nice large playground; we toured another school that was really small (my neighborhood school), in a nice seemingly quite neighborhood, high test scores, and a special education class (which does not matter too much to my needs); and we toured a school that is the most coveted school in the city and is really hard to get into. The grades there are the highest with exception of the gifted school, the atmosphere seemed to be really great, and the library was awesome.
We were awarded the first school that we toured, the great big one that I mentioned first (I hope this is not too confusing for you to follow, I am trying to keep all names etc... private). Being awarded this school was a great blessing from God as I mentioned in my previous post. I am excited about the uniforms, as it will make dressing my kids easier and less expensive. It will also help reinforce our modesty rules because as I read the information packet that I wasa given I found that the clothes have to have complete coverage as well as the skirts have to be the same length on all girls--to the end of the fingertips when standing/kneeling.
Another thing that I really liked was that the principal is observing all recess times as well as the classes only go out a grade at a time so there is not a 5th grader (for example purposes only) picking on a 1st grader. I really liked that. The school also seemed really secure and the staff was the friendliest of all three schools that I observed. It is only 7 minutes away (which may come in to be very important as every minute counts for me in the morning). And finally, the kids favorite part -- the gym has a climbing wall. The bonus is -- one of my kids' friends will also be attending Kindergarten there, so there will be a familiar face though they may not see each other often as they are in different grades.
I am really looking forward to seeing school plays, school band performances, and all the stuff that comes with the public education as well as just being home and being Mommy for a while and seeing what that is truly like. I am looking forward to picking them up and doing homework with them, while asking them about their day. I have been teaching them for two years now and I am just exhausted, stressed, and missing the formative toddler years of my youngest.
Now please pray along with us as we use this opportunity that God has given us to be a small light, but a light none the less, in the public school system.

3 comments:

grace said...

Praise the Lord for finding a school that you really like! And it's even in Rockford! That's surprising.

Ann-Marie said...

I am so glad you are at peace! I know your girls are going to be such a light in their new school. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Heidi said...

I will do that.